Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where in the world is Island Park?







In the "About Me" section of my blog, I mention that I am from Island Park, ID. Alot of people have never heard of Island Park so I thought I would extrapolate on my old stomping grounds. First of all, Island Park is located about an hour drive north of Rexburg Idaho on Hwy 20 and a half hour drive south of West Yellowstone, MT. The place looks just like Yellowstone but without the stinky geysers. Island Park is known primarily for its excellent fishing on the world renowned Henry's Fork of the Snake River and amazing snowmobiling during the long winter months. What some people don't know is that it has the longest main street in the U.S. since main street is Hwy 20 for almost 20 miles. Alot of people like to camp there during the summer since the area provides much the same that Yellowstone does but without the traffic and tourists. Hopefully it will stay that way and not get overdeveloped like Jackson Hole.




Growing up in Island Park was just like being on vacation all the time, which has it's ups as well as its downs. Overall, I love the area and I'm so thankful for the opportunity that my parents gave us kids by moving there. While growing up, we lived in a rather small trailer for all seven of us, which you can imagine had its rough times. However, I think that the experience taught our family some things about ourselves that we may have never known. I'll leave those details within the family. (I do believe that some things just shouldn't be shared on a blog.)




But after eight years of hard work, my parents were able to build a beautiful log home! This is where no words could express the gratitude and admiration that I have for my parents. This home they built was brought about by so many tears, so many prayers, laughter, hard work and things falling into place that could only be explained as the Lord blessing my parents. There are not many people I know that have put so much into a dream/goal as what my parents and family gave for this home. Also, the talent and time spent making this home individually their home is quite remarkable. There was effort put in by every member of the family, some more than others, however the overall stress, time, and sweat belongs solely to my mom and dad. And not only did they build a beautiful home, but then they went above and beyond and maintain what I believe to be the most beautiful yard in Island Park. In front of their home is a large waterfall with many small ponds and creeks that eventually lead to the large pond in the center of the property. They have a large swath of grass, you heard me right, grass in Island Park, which they mow and keep looking green as if they lived in more temperate climates.




I could go on and on about my parents, their home, and yard but I think I'm bordering cheese and a rather long blog so I think I'll leave it at that. I love you mom and dad! Visit Island Park, take your kids, they will love it! And stop and say hi to my folks, they're totally cool!

7 comments:

angie said...

Hey Becky, I ventured over to your blog through Tiffanni's! Hope that's okay! When are you guys moving exactly? I really wish that we could've done more in getting to know one another better! I think we could've had some good times, especially since our husbands get along quite well, right!! Can I add you to my list of friends on my blog? My blog is lawsonupdate.blogspot.com if you ever want to check it out! Talk to ya later, Angie Lawson

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

Love the new blog! Hope life is going good for ya. Hey I need some advice for a craft for enrichment. Where have you looked for your ideas?

Black Family said...

YAY! I just found you had a blog....I am so excited! I heard the good news!! I was so happy for you guys. Finally time to move on..it is such a good feeling. Anyways, I need your address ....can I send it to the 305 one that is all I have? Actually maybe that one is way old? Hope all is well....

tiff said...

bHey where are the new pictures? I wanted to see that little 2 bedroom apartment? Brent called the other night to borrow a frying pan but never came out to get one??? Hope all is going good. We miss ya.

tiff said...

Hey Eryyn Black is looking for your address... Can you give it to me or get on her blog and give it to her....

Hope all is well

Jeanette Roylance said...

Hello! I never did get your email address again, but now I've found your blog! Send me a note so that we can keep in touch and if you come back to town let me know. We would love to play one more round of settlers or ticket to ride!
Jeanette
rjroylance@smwireless.net

tiff said...

Hey its was good talking to you today... Sounds like your getting along pretty good. The fair was pretty fun but its so exspensive I can't believe it..... We only went two days and I was like WOW!!!!! I'll talk to Ruben about coming over. It would be lots of fun. Miss ya