Thursday, October 2, 2008

RainyDayThursday!

Don't get me wrong...I don't have the rainyday blues. I love the rain and since we have lived here in Dallas for the past 4 weeks, today is the first day it has been truly rainy. Last night it came down in torrents and I actually felt a little excited and peaceful all at the same time...weird?
Anywhooo...Brent has just left to take the kids to school and then back to setting up his exercise equipment at his "new office" (hee, hee), I just layed Marni down for a nap, started some new loads of laundry (washer and dryer, aahh!), piled the clean laundry on my bed and shut my door to fold later (much later:)), and began fixing myself some lunch. Now...lunch is usually a boring subject but I have a few random thoughts about mine today. I decided, in my infinite wisdom, that I should have a nice bowl of soup and a mug of hot cocoa since it is raining outside. I filled my mug with water and placed in the microwave for 1 minute to heat since I'm too lazy to heat the water over the stove. I then pour my Campbell's Healthy Request (of course, right?) Tomato soup into the pan with a little milk in it. I then mindlessly stir my soup in the pan thinking, "Why do I add milk to the tomato soup? Mom always made it that way...because it tastes better?...or because she is trying to make it stretch?...can you even taste it in there?" While I'm stirring, the microwave beeps and I retrieve my soon to be hot cocoa vessel and open the Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa with Miny Marshmallows...here is the dilema...I always try to spoon out as many of the marshmallows as I can but they seem to be hiding in the cocoa, so I stir around to try and find them and I chance upon a little cluster of them and gently try to coax all of them on the spoon. Then, I find some more, repeat above and again find some more. Dilema...I've tried to get so many marshmallows that I end up with ALOT of cocoa as well and I'm easily pushing four spoonfuls of cocoa as apposed to the general two-scoop rule of thumb. So, after stirring it together, I take a sip to see just how rich it is to discover to my dismay that the water isn't even hot, maybe luke warm but that's pushing it. The mug (vessel) is hot to the touch however the water is laughing at me!!! Stupid Microwave! So, what do I do? Stick it back into the microwave of course...this time only 30 seconds to be safe. I turn back to my soup and think to myself, "This sure is taking a long time to heat up!" glance at the stove and see that I have totally forgotten to turn on the burner! Dough!!!! Turn on the burner, stirring the soup, and the microwave beeps! Finally, one hot cocoa coming right up!!! I gingerly take a sip only to burn every tastebud off of my tongue...apparently 30 seconds in the microwave is an hour on the stove!!! Now my soup is heated through but I can't even enjoy it now because I've burned my tongue! Continual quandery: why did I put milk in the tomato soup? I can't even taste it now! Guess that will have to be solved next time...until then I need to read some blogs to take my mind off my uncurable forgettfulness. And, yes, I did turn off the stove...this time!!!

5 comments:

angie said...

HEY BECKY!!! Man I miss you guys!! Tim and I have almost moved as much as you two!! Sorry you burned your tongue, you're hilarious!! Not that you burned your tongue (ouch) but that you can describe in detail how you made cocoa and soup!! I'm SO scatterbrained that I could never do that!! Impressive! Jayden looks absolutely beautiful on her first day!! Emma did the same thing on her first day! Here I was expecting her to be scared and maybe even a few tears, but she just walked right in the classroom without a single tear and only a brief wave, and see ya later dad!! (I made Tim take her, because I knew I would ball)! Anyway, glad you guys are getting a little settled! Do you guys have plans for a home yet? Are you building or buying? Sorry for the long comment, just wanted to say hi and we miss you, but glad you're happy and excited for your new opportunity!! Keep in touch! LOL!!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the comment. Your children are sooo dang cute!!! HOw fun to have them in school and growing soo much. It will be fun to see what life brings the Darringtons in Dallas, Oregon. And I'll check out your friends. Thanks for the heads up.

angie said...

I love the Ladysmith Black Mambazo with Paul Simon. I have a few of their albums from my mission in South Africa. Love them!!! Anyway, I am glad you are settling in. Keep us updated on new and exciting ways to prepare food. Tim

Black Family said...

Hey...thank you for the sweet comment. How are you guys anyways....are you liking it there? I am glad we will be able to keep in touch through our blogs.Your kids are so all so beautiful.....what a great picture of all of them!

tiff said...

Are you ever going to put some more pictures on here. I check your blog all the time. Im waiting for the going to Hawaii blog..... Are you getting excited or what? What have you been up too??????? Missing Othello????? I Can't wait to sit in the sun for a week.......... Miss ya